cannot niscat passwd.org_dir

devrandom at freenet.de devrandom at freenet.de
Fri Apr 4 23:59:55 EST 2003

Hi list,
Got a stupid situation here: We have a Nisplus Network here, served by a
Solaris 7 UltraSparc Machine. We got some new PCs lately, I putted Debian SID
on the machines, compiled nisutils myself (found no deb package for unstable
;-( ) wrote the startscript and so on.... I put the nisdomainnname in
/etc/defaultdomain and created /var/nis/NIS_COLD_START with nisinit. After
all these I was able to start keysev and cachemgr without any problems. and I
was able run keylogin. Till here everything works great and without any
problems. But I was not able to log on the machine with any useraccount in
Nisplus network.

Linux:~# niscat passwd.org_dir.OUR.DOMAIN
passwd.org_dir.OUR.DOMAIN: Malformed name, or illegal name
Linux:~#

However I can niscat everything else, group.org_dir, cred.org_dir,
hosts.org_dir on the client and so on and so on..... only passwd.org_dir
failed. On the Serverside I see something like this in /var/adm/messages

Apr  4 15:48:47 SunSever nisd[177]: __directory_object: Failed to lookup
hosts.org_dir.OUR.DOMAIN.OUR.DOMAIN., status Not Found, no such name

if I niscat hosts.org_dir

Apr  4 15:50:40 SunSever nisd[177]: __directory_object: Failed to lookup
cred.org_dir.OUR.DOMAIN.OUR.DOMAIN., status Not Found, no such name

if I niscat cred.org_dir

and

Apr  4 15:50:40 SunSever nisd[177]: __directory_object: Failed to lookup
passwd.org_dir.OUR.DOMAIN.OUR.DOMAIN., status Not Found, no such name

if I niscat passwd on the client side.

Well I'm really confused now, because the client did been able to niscat
hosts.org_dir, and cred.org_dir, only not the passwd.org_dir, the server
seemed to know nothing about any element from org_dir directory.......

I'm not very familar to nisplus, I will be very thankful for it, if anyone can
help me in this case.

Thanx

Luotao Fu