/usr/lib/nis/nisclient: killproc: command not found

John Aasen john.aasen at alcatel.no
Tue May 14 16:09:22 EST 2002

The NIS+ support was originally written for the SUSE distribution. killproc
and startproc are shell functions that are available in the SUSE startup
scripts. The /etc/rc.config is also a SUSE specific file.

I think you should start the NIS+ deamons before running the nisclient script.
I have found that the following procedure works for getting a Linux NIS+
client up and running:
1. Copy the start script [nis+ source directory]/etc/redhat.rc to
/etc/rc.d/init.d/nscd
2. Make sure the clients time is synchronized with the NIS+ server, either
with rdate or the time service.
3. Run nisinit -c -H [nisserver]
4. Run  service nscd start
5. Run /usr/lib/nisclient -i -d [nis domain name] -h [nis+ server]
   This script is written for a SuSE distribution, but even though
   there are some warnings about missing rc.config,
   killproc and startproc, it seems they can be safely ignored.
6. Add + to the end of /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and /etc/group.
7. Install the new  /etc/nsswitch file. The
main points is a line "publickey : nisplus" and that the entries for
services, protocols and rpc are "files" only, as they are different for Linux
and the Solaris NIS+ server.

You should now be able to run "niscat passwd.org_dir" and get the
contents of the NIS+ password table.
It might be necessary to reboot before you get NIS+ up and running.

John Aasen			john.aasen at alcatel.no
Alcatel  Norway			Tel: +47 22 63 83 09
Norkrets - Electronics Design	Fax: +47 22 63 81 80