RH 7.2 or RH 7.3 With NISPLUS?

Richard Dawe Richard.Dawe at riverstonenet.com
Tue Jul 30 18:51:41 EST 2002

Hello.

Scott Mewett wrote:
> Have any of you seen problems doing a useradd on a redhat box in order
> to add a local account?
>
> For example I tried to install the Apache RPM and the rpm
> command hangs.
> A ps shows that there is a useradd process running and it just sits
> there. The apache rpm post install script does a useradd to
> add the user "apache" to the local password file.
>
> If I remove nisplus from nsswitch.conf, install the RPM and then add
> nisplus back, things work fine. But that isn't a very good solution.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you using subdomains? We have a unsolved problem.
We're in a subdomain. We have a replica of the root
domain server, but the Linux boxes always seem
to go to the real root domain server, which is
on a different continent. Previously my Linux boxes
were using the hosts file (several thousand lines -
don't ask) from NIS+ to do name resolution,
which was very slow. There were delays of tens of
seconds. I flipped nsswitch.conf to use DNS first
and everything sprang to life.

You may not have the same problem, but it may be
worth trying the switch to DNS over hosts
in nsswitch.conf.

HTH, regards,

Richard Dawe, Software Engineer, Riverstone Networks, UK
richard.dawe at riverstonenet.com, http://www.riverstonenet.com/