RH7.2, KDE and NIS+ (was: NIS+ on Mandrake 8.1)

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Sat Feb 23 10:10:35 EST 2002

Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Steve Plemmons wrote:
>
> > All of the NIS+ accounts show up in the KDE login screen, but I can't
> > use any of them to login.  If I login as root, then I can use niscat to
> > view all of the tables correctly.  I even have autofs working and can cd
> > into all of the autofs directories being served up through my NIS+
> > server.
>
> Okay, first thing to check is whether the login shell is listed in
> /etc/shells.  KDM won't allow login if the login shell is not listed.
>
> This solved the problem from RedHat 6.2 to 7.1 and also on various SuSE
> systems.  Then RH 7.2 came along (with glibc 2.2.4) and with those
> systems I see really unexpected behavior.  KDM usually doesn't allow
> login.  Sometimes this is fixed by restarting the X-Server, sometimes
> you have to kill KDM, use startx to get into KDE and then restart KDM
> again, sometimes it simply refuses to login, whatever I do.  This
> happens on all RH 7.2 systems here, and I'm yet totally perplexed as to
> what this is causing.

I have no problems with KDE under RH7.2 with NIS+. I always install all
the upgrades to RH7.2 before starting to set up NIS+, but I did a machine
just last night and it all went swimmingly. If you haven't applied the
RedHat upgrade RPMs for KDE and glibc, that might be why you are seeing
problems.

All up I have about 40 machines running RH7.1 and about 6 running RH7.2
with KDE and NIS+ - never seen the problems you are reporting.

What version of nis-utils are you using (I am now using 1.4.1 with the
RH7.2 machines). What version of pam_unix2.so are you using? What are
your entries in /etc/pam.d/system-auth (or wherever you put them)? Also,
are you sure that your clocks are properly sync'd between the NIS+ server
and clients?

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.