nis+ client setup problems in RH7.3 using KDE (Ravi Kiran

Doug Fajardo dfajardo at symark.com
Sat Dec 28 06:05:02 EST 2002

Ravi:

    If niscat passwd.org_dir doesnt work, forget about kde or gnome - the
nisplus system
is the problem.

    In this case, it sounds as if one of the local daemons are not running.
Even for
a client, you need nis_cachemgr, rpc.nisd and keyserv running (it sounds
like they
aren't). These daemons don't normally require any arguments, so just run
them.

    Also check for the file '/var/nis/NIS_COLD_START' - if you don't have
this,
then you will need to initialize the NISPLUS client on your machine.

    Unfortunately, my notes on the specific commands for all of the above
are not
available right now, so I can't give you step-by-step answers. Hopefully the
above
comments will be enough to get you started.

Best Wishes this Holiday season,
Doug F.