a problem with setting new machine on th network..

J ji jabalio at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 17 00:41:48 EST 2002

i am not sure if you understood me , i can see disks of all other machines
on my network on my main nfs server .so when i do a ls on my nfs server it
lists all disks including partitioned disks of al computers on my nework
except that of the new machine. I also cecked all the files in /var/nis
directory. i found that the new machines name was notthere in
auto_direct.org_dir file where al other disks were listed. also i saw that
the new machine name was not there in hots.org_dir file Although i saw my
new machines name in the  netgroup.org_dir file, i assume that this is from
before becausemy machine is a recycled machine which used to be in the
network long time ago, so i guess it hasnt been removed from the netgroup.
Could somebody plz tel me that if i add my new machine name in these 2 files
will everything e ok.
or i still will have to do all those things that need to be done on the new
machine
.
Also i noticed i more thing, on all my machines in the network if i do  ls
/home, it doesnt list anything , if i do ls -l /home it says total 0,
however if i do cd /home/someusername it takes me to that users home
directory. now my nfs servers name is buddy. and in /buddy0 all the users
are listed. So to go their home dir, they can also do cd /buddy0/username.
when i do ls /buddy0 on any machine in the network, it would list all users
but not if i do ls /home. I dont know what this means. BUt on the new
machine that ihave set up, it lists when i do ls /home and not when i do ls
/buddy0. so since my boss was using some programs that had
/buddy0/someusername/... in its path he couldnt  use it .
so for now i have temporarily mounted /buddy0 by doing this:
mount buddy:/export/buddy0 /buddy0. and this works for now, but my concern
is that when i reboot this will be lost.So right now it lists users both
when i do ls /home and as well as ls /buddy0. Can somebody suggest what i
forgot, Also this machine had this problem initially that it had not
exported other user info automatically, it used to only let root login , but
i tried a bunch of things like /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd.d restart,
etc/rc.d/init.d/ypbind restart, but i think what actually did it for me was
/etc/rc.d/init.d/amd restart.
Thanks in advance
.
regards,