a problem with setting new machine on th network..

Alan Buxey almb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Aug 15 18:48:29 EST 2002

hi,

> i looked at the file that you askedmme to look into . Although i didnt
> understand which part i had to do in it ..because everything in th network
> is set up and working.
> when i am logged on to main nfs server as root and when i try to look in
> the home directory, it would list all directories in th enetwork whose
> enttries are in the nis+ table, except the one machine that i set up. The
> previous sys admin guy told that i have to add the entry by doing nistbladm
> -a ....,
> he also said thati could take a look atthe existing entries by doing
> something like niscat ....
> butthe name he said which i assume that wass the table name , when i did
> niscat follwed by that name , it said not found.
> Is there a way for me to know what tables are there on my system . I dont
> even know if there should be more than 1.
> Also even after I find out the table name , what exactly should i type
> nisstbladm -a and then what the new machine is called dome.
> ALso is procedure called setting up a client or what . because the
> documentteaches how to set upa aserver, a client etc. but here everything
> is set up just need to add this machine in the table
> thanks in advance
> regards
> JJi

2 main issues that come straight to mind.

1) have you set up this new machine as a nis client on the server?
ie on your NIS+ server have you run the usual  nisclient commands
and run the required things on the client after?

2) have you added the client to the servers NIS+ hosts file? if not,
then add the client - either via a nice GUI - eg with Solaris you
can use admapp or solstice.... or command line... something like

nistbladm -a cname=newclient.my.net.work name=myclient addr=192.168.0.1 hosts

alan