[linux-cifs-client] Can't create symlink on a windows share

William Marshall bmarsh at us.ibm.com
Mon Jan 12 22:41:02 GMT 2009

Volker wrote on 01/12/2009 03:41:44 PM:

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:36:02PM +0100, brice.rouanet at iut-tlse3.fr
wrote:
> > Yes, but with SFU and NFS we can create symlink I think, why samba
> > can't do the same thing ?
>
> If you can show how a Windows client does this via the SMB
> protocol, please send a sniff.

I knew you could do this locally on ntfs, I just could not remember the
terms that were used.

I just found the junction tool at
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx

For example, here's a place where we've had a symlink for long time.
Notice <junction> in the dir listing.

l:\>dir www*
Volume in drive L is WWW
Volume Serial Number is EC6D-93A9

Directory of L:\

3/25/2003  05:07 PM    <JUNCTION>     www
              0 File(s)              0 bytes
              1 Dir(s)  15,532,638,208 bytes free

L:\>junction *

Junction v1.05 - Windows junction creator and reparse point viewer
Copyright (C) 2000-2007 Mark Russinovich
Systems Internals - http://www.sysinternals.com

\\?\L:\www: JUNCTION
   Print Name     : E:\IBM HTTP Server 2.0
   Substitute Name: E:\IBM HTTP Server 2.0

If noone else posts a trace, I'll do one tomorrow.

Bill Marshall
Integrated Technology Delivery, Server Operations
Rochester PC Server Team
Building 020-2, Rochester, MN