[linux-cifs-client] Can't create symlink on a windows share

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Mon Jan 12 22:58:13 GMT 2009

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:36:02 +0100
brice.rouanet at iut-tlse3.fr wrote:

> Yes, but with SFU and NFS we can create symlink I think, why samba
> can't do the same thing ?

The CIFS protocol has unix extensions, but they were not ever adopted
by Microsoft. Other clients and servers (notably Samba and Linux CIFS
VFS) implement these extensions, but Microsoft's products do not.

If you use CIFS to mount a share from a samba server the client and
server will generally negotiate unix extensions and you'll be able to
create symlinks. When you mount a windows server, that negotiation
fails and you only get the ability to do "core" CIFS calls.

It would be nice if Microsoft would implement unix extensions, but so
far that hasn't happened.