[linux-cifs-client] use non-zero vcnumbers patch

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Feb 4 03:19:08 GMT 2009

Steve French wrote:
:
> I also remember the old situation that Chris H. mentions about vc
> numbers and NATs and the nasty behavior change it required.

NATs, and multiple connections from a single machine.  Say someone has (for
example) an smbclient session open and then mounts a share using CIFS.  If
CIFS sends VC=0 the smbclient session may be dropped.

As I recall (haven't tested lately) newer Windows servers no longer drop
existing connections if a new VC=0 connection comes in.  If that is the
case, then there's no point in sending VC=0 anyway.

Again, I'm going from memory so I could be wrong here, but I think jCIFS
sends VC=1 for all connections and doesn't have a problem.  Two TCP
connections from the same client with the same VC number would (assuming the
old OS/2 idea of a VC is supported) be seen as a single virtual circuit over
two physical circuits.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org