[linux-cifs-client] use non-zero vcnumbers patch

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 03:03:01 GMT 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Jeff Layton <jlayton at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 19:50:08 -0600
> Steve French <smfrench at gmail.com> wrote:
>> +     if (max_vcs < 2)
>> +             max_vcs = 0xFFFF;
>> +
>
> A comment about the above situation seems warranted since it's basically
> a workaround for buggy servers.

Yes - Windows set(s) max vcs to 1 when it means unlimited so I agree,
this should be commented.

> So what happens at reconnect? Shouldn't we "reset" all the vcnums?
> Shouldn't the first session setup on the reconnected socket use vcnum
> 0? I seem to recall reading that vcnum of 0 has some significance for
> the server...
>
> Other than that, the patch looks reasonable to me.
I forgot to add apart that resets vcnumbers, I had originally intended
to do that, but I am not certain that it is necessary, although
without it, we increase the possiblility of vc number collisions.   I
thought Windows begins with vcnumber 0, but don't remember (that is
probably safest, to follow Windows behavior here, although it is not
always easy to get certain Windows clients to send more than one vc
from the same client - as you could e.g. with terminal server/

I also remember the old situation that Chris H. mentions about vc
numbers and NATs and the nasty behavior change it required.

Steve