[linux-cifs-client] setuid does not work on CIFS filesystem?

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Fri Sep 12 12:04:38 GMT 2008

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 12:49:58 -0700
"Dhirakaosal, Suvidhean - ES/RDR -Gil" <Suvidhean.Dhirakaosal at itt.com>
wrote:

> We have a setup where a Windows machine exports a shared folder to a
> Linux box.  This folder is mounted through mount.cifs.  We are able to
> access the files, but there are quirks here and there (i.e. symbolic
> links are not supported on the cifs filesystem).  Most importantly, we
> can't set the sticky bit (i.e. chmod 4777 myBinary) on the executables
> that are on the cifs filesystem.
>
> We'd like to be able to allow users to run the binaries with root
> privileges and the shared binaries have to be on the Windows shared
> drive.

Since windows doesn't have a real way to persistently store file modes,
you're sort of out of luck here. You could mount the share with
file_mode=04777, but that sounds like a really bad idea. You could also
experiment with cifsacl support, but I'm not sure whether it supports
setuid bits.

Another way might be to try and use windows with SFU support, but I've
never tested that and can't vouch for it...