[linux-cifs-client] setuid does not work on CIFS filesystem?

Dhirakaosal, Suvidhean - ES/RDR -Gil Suvidhean.Dhirakaosal at itt.com
Fri Sep 5 19:49:58 GMT 2008

We have a setup where a Windows machine exports a shared folder to a
Linux box.  This folder is mounted through mount.cifs.  We are able to
access the files, but there are quirks here and there (i.e. symbolic
links are not supported on the cifs filesystem).  Most importantly, we
can't set the sticky bit (i.e. chmod 4777 myBinary) on the executables
that are on the cifs filesystem.

We'd like to be able to allow users to run the binaries with root
privileges and the shared binaries have to be on the Windows shared
drive.

Thannks,
-Suvi

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender.
Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of ITT Corporation. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.