[linux-cifs-client] Re: fsx-linux failing with latest cifs-2.6 git tree

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Wed Nov 26 11:54:18 GMT 2008

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 22:04:04 -0600
"Steve French" <smfrench at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you know why someone added the AOP_FLAG_UNITERRUPTIBLE check in
> cifs_write_begin instead of always marking a page up to date if we are
> writing the whole page?  How often would that flag be set - I only see
> it in the path which calls generic_file_buffered_write
>
>  	/* If we are writing a full page it will be up to date,
>  	   no need to read from the server */
>  	if (len == PAGE_CACHE_SIZE && flags & AOP_FLAG_UNINTERRUPTIBLE)
>
> It seems restrictive

Good Q. This article is informative...

http://lwn.net/Articles/254856/

...so I take this to mean that when this flag isn't set you might be
able to interrupt the copy of the data to the page, and leave part of
it in an uninitialized state.

Hmm...given that, we should probably not optimize the read away at all
if that flag isn't set. Let me see about respinning that patch...