[linux-cifs-client] cifs updated in 2.6.25-rc6

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 22:56:16 GMT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Igor Mammedov <niallain at gmail.com> wrote:
>  The main reason for writing this code was to provide "poor" Linux guys
>  with an access to files in the corporate Windows based environment.
>  And this it do well enough (at least for a 50 linux guys, here) for a
>  year (in its last implementation).
I agree that the Windows support is important, and in this case
samba behavior is probably incorrect, but not a horrible server bug.
I would like to get the client code to work, where reasonably possible,
for all of the common server cases, whether it is Samba server, Windows,
NetApp etc.  Samba server is especially common in low end appliances
these days, so I think the approach of filling in the default values
is most reasonable - but my first pass at doing this ended up with more than
100 lines of code, and it seemed like we could do better.

>  May be we should release it as is and let people to use it with win
>  servers. (but we need to add in the feature description in the kernel
>  config that this experimental feature is incompatible with samba, yet).

>  Meanwhile we could write and test fake inode code, without any rush.
>  This way we  be able to mass test and fix errors, if they would find it,
>  and introduce support for samba based dfs as well.
if the remaining code were less than 50 lines ... and low risk ...

Steve