[linux-cifs-client] cifs updated in 2.6.25-rc6

Igor Mammedov niallain at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 17:18:59 GMT 2008

Steve French wrote:
> Some additional cifs fixes were just added to 2.6.25-rc6 mainline kernel.
> We are coming down to the wire, so wanted to remind that this may be
> the last few days to test it before before it ships.
>
> Due to some strange behavior by the Samba server when DFS is enabled
> (in particular not recognizing as dfs referrals, paths to msdfs:
> symlink inodes beginning with / when Unix Extensions are enabled, and
> when they are disabled not recognizing the DFS path without the
> \\server\share prefix even when DFS flag is disabled), I don't want to
> check the final piece of enablement in until we finally understand
> this.   I don't see a reasonable way o do the 2nd CIFSSMBQueryPathInfo
> (as the current code does) and get it to work to Samba, so will have
> to fill in default values which is more code than I want to change
> this late in the cycle (and harder than it sounds for a few of the
> cases).

I don't have samba dfs servers around, so I've not tested this case.

The main reason for writing this code was to provide "poor" Linux guys
with an access to files in the corporate Windows based environment.
And this it do well enough (at least for a 50 linux guys, here) for a
year (in its last implementation).

May be we should release it as is and let people to use it with win
servers. (but we need to add in the feature description in the kernel
config that this experimental feature is incompatible with samba, yet).

Meanwhile we could write and test fake inode code, without any rush.
This way we  be able to mass test and fix errors, if they would find it,
and introduce support for samba based dfs as well.

--

Best regards,

Igor Mammedov,
niallain "at" gmail.com