[linux-cifs-client] Re: Unable to mount using sec=none and mount.cifs

Ganael LAPLANCHE ganael.laplanche at martymac.com
Thu Mar 6 09:24:50 GMT 2008

Hi Christopher,

I'm facing *exactly* the same problem trying to mount a share on a Netapp filer
using clear-text passwords (Netapps need clear-text passwords to authenticate
users against an LDAP server when working without a DC).

A wireshark trace shows a Server Error (0x02), with a "Non specific error code"
in the Session Setup and X response.

The version of the module I use is 1.50 recompiled with CONFIG_CIFS_WEAK_PW_HASH
on Kubuntu (kernel 2.6.22-14-generic). I use 0x37 as SecurityFlags.

> Mar  5 14:28:38 bee kernel: [1723623.069760]  fs/cifs/connect.c: null user

Anyway, your logs show that no user is defined for the connection ; I don't
think this is what you want, reading your fstab :

> //superman/www-pub  /smb/superman/www-pub   cifs
auto,uid=33,gid=33,username=WORKGROUP/www-pub,password=sekret,sec=none   0 0

You use the old smbfs option : 'username' is deprecated. The good option is now
'user'. You also have to remove sec=none which will try to bind you as guest
(null user).

Could you try connecting again and tell me if it works for you ?

Ganaël LAPLANCHE
ganael.laplanche at martymac.com
http://www.martymac.com