[linux-cifs-client] Extrange behavior, mounted dir files can be writed but not modified... sometimes

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Fri Dec 19 14:40:53 GMT 2008

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 03:51:10 -0800 (PST)
rah <raul.medrano at inspectorate.es> wrote:

> I'm using a cifs mounted linux folder. Since the begining it worked fine, but
> lately some applications cannot modify files.
> For example:
> gimp or scite opens a png or text file but when saving only can do it using
> a different name, else it says "no such directory" or "not a directory"
>
> But if I open the same file text with vim or gedit it behaves right and can
> be saved with the same name.
>
> Server is debian 2.6.8-3-k7 kernel and samba 3.0.24-6
> Client is debian 2.6.26-1-amd64 kernel and samba 3.2.5-2
> Other clients works well: Windows and linux (older)
>
> The only thing changed lately were kernel and packages upgrades.
>
> I've tried to get more info but samba and system logs doesn't show anything
> about this or at least I wasn't able to find it.
>
> Please advice.
>
> Thanks

Possibly problems with the DFS code? IIRC, samba 3.0.24 was broken wrt to
some DFS code. If you're not actually using DFS referrals, you may want to
try disabling DFS on the server. See the "host msdfs" option for smb.conf.

With very recent kernels, you can also try mounting with "nodfs" but that's
probably not in your client's kernel.