[linux-cifs-client] Is this the best list for help with mount.cifs ?

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 01:42:40 GMT 2008

I'm wondering if there is a better list for users struggling with problems...

I did see someone post here with the exact same problem as mine:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/linux-cifs-client/2008-February/002703.html

He posted this at the end of February and then several days later in March.

He got no replies at all.

I'm using the most common commercial Linux and trying to do
a very typical thing with it.  So my kernel version and task should be
common to others.  It surprises me there are few references to this
problem.

Here is the ugly workaround for people stuck with this
bug, and who use apache on Linux and mount the Windows
share for the web content...

Mount //servername/share to /home/www

Set up apache to refer to /home/www/www/www for DocumentRoot
rather than the logically expected /home/www

Another tip: set up a cron to restart winbind every day as it has
a terrible memory leak (at least the version which comes with Redhat EL 5)