[linux-cifs-client] Re: Can't mount NAS device

Steve French (smfltc) smfltc at us.ibm.com
Mon Mar 26 18:59:12 GMT 2007

>I've sent the message below some months ago, but haven't received any
>answer. Was the question inappropriate ? Wrong list ? Can somebody here
>on the list help me ?
>
>Thanks
>
>Dominik
>
>[Old message without the traces, I can reproduce the traces any time]
>
>I am desperately trying to mount my newly acquired NAS device in Linux
>2.6.18 (OpenSuse 10.2) using cifs.
>Unfortunately it doesn't work. I've searched with google and found that
>several people experience the same problem. According to what I've found
>on the net, the device seems not to be 100% cifs compatible. But as
>usual, it works under Windows XP (and CE).
>
>The device is an inexpensive NAS case which can be equipped with an IDE
>disc.
>
>I've turned on CIFS debugging and recorded the attached during a mount.
>
>Can you help? I tried to do some experiments playing with the command
>length which seems to be off, but apart from hangs I didn't produce
>anything usable.

I don't see the actual error in the log (my guess is that you turned
/proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI to 1 instead of 7 so
we don't see some of the higher level errors).   Looks like the server
is an older version of Samba
that supports the early CIFS Unix Extensions but does not support
SetFSInfo (for
negotiating unix capabilities).    After the server fails the SetFSInfo
I see a read_inode so it
looks like this older cifs code, as with current cifs code, can handle
the server returning an error on this.
Basically it looks like mount succeeded if it made it this far.

Perhaps the read_inode on the root directory of the mount succeeds but
the server returned that it is not
a directory?

You can force a different path to this type of server by turning off the
Unix/Linux extensions before mount:

    "echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled"

that will force the Linux CIFS client to treat the server more like
Windows (and try older levels
of the same calls - but it will mean that you will not get the owner and
mode
information of the files from the server but will get default values for
those)