[linux-cifs-client] Re: POSIX Create/Mkdir and Create Action

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Mar 10 05:28:32 GMT 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 09:45:01PM -0600, Steve French wrote:

> Don't we need one more thing in the POSIX Create/Mkdir/Open response?

posix_mkdir returns EEXIST (or the NT_STATUS equivalent -
NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_COLLISION) if the pathname already
existed, just like the system call.

> In particular the CreateAction "FILE_CREATE" (not sure if the server
> ever returns FILE_SUPERSEDE).
>
> Are there CreateActions others that the client should care about?
>
> The client pays attention to whether the file was created or opened e.g.
> when the user asks us to overwrite the inodes default uid/gid with our
> default uid/gid (although not the default mount option - it is allowed)
> we need to know if the file is new.

I didn't know you needed to know that on posix_open.
If you need that info you need to change the spec,
now, before anything goes into production.

George, James - do you need this ?

Jeremy.