[linux-cifs-client] Re: POSIX Unlink and Query Unix File Info2

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Mar 9 22:46:39 GMT 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 04:34:45PM -0600, Steve French wrote:

> If I have the file open and have oplock (common case), delete the file -
> posix requires that I can continue writing it ... but why in the world
> do I want to flush the whole file at that point and send all subsequent
> writes to the server?

Virtually the delete "path" involves an "open for delete -> set delete on
close -> close" and the second open will cause the break. It's more
a Windows semantic thing, but it's really hard to distinguish the
different cases on the server. Just seemed safer to break the oplock
here.

I'll look at it again, but it's hard to get this right without
the oplock break.

Jeremy.