[linux-cifs-client] autofs CIFS mount works on one box, but not the other.

Jon Larson jtlarson at u.washington.edu
Thu Feb 1 18:13:47 GMT 2007

Systems:

3 systems running KnoppixMyth R5D1 (Knoppix distro based on Debian 3.1,
2.6.17 custom kernel)

1 system running KnoppixMyth R5E50 (Knoppix distro based on Debian 4.0,
2.6.18 custom kernel)

All systems using same auto.master, auto.samba.mnt, and .smbpassword files.

R5D1 systems use CIFS 1.43, where as R5E50 uses CIFS 1.45.

All systems are connecting to windows shares on 2 windows servers.
Windows servers are configured to reject LanMan authentication.

auto.samba.mnt contents (anonymized server names):

media -fstype=cifs,credentials=/home/mythtv/.smbpassword
://fully.qualified.domain.name/media
listings -fstype=cifs,credentials=/home/mythtv/.smbpassword
://fully.qualified.domain.name/eventlist
backup -fstype=cifs,credentials=/home/mythtv/.smbpassword
://fully.qualified.domain.name/media/backup

Behavior:

R5D1 machines have worked for months using this configuration--and
continue to work at this moment.

R5E50 machine: When I start the autofs service, the mounted directories
appear in the autofs root dir, but if I try to cd or ls to the mounted
dirs, I get:

ls: /myth/windows/listings: No such file or directory

System log:

Feb  1 09:04:20 AV-mythtv1 automount[7414]: failed to mount
/myth/windows/listings
Feb  1 09:04:28 AV-mythtv1 kernel:  CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13
Feb  1 09:04:28 AV-mythtv1 kernel:  CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return
code = -13
Feb  1 09:04:28 AV-mythtv1 automount[7435]: >> mount error 13 =
Permission denied
Feb  1 09:04:28 AV-mythtv1 automount[7435]: >> Refer to the
mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

A plain "mount -t cifs..." attempt from the command line yields the same
error 13.

Since it seems to be connecting but not authenticating, I have guessed
that it has something to do with settings in /proc/fs/cifs, particularly
/proc/fs/cifs/SecurityFlags. That file contains "0x7" and nothing more,
but according to /usr/src/linux/fs/cifs/README, the default setting
should be "0x07007". Could that be a problem? How can I change it,
considering it's set to read-only?

The README also says you can override the default security setting above
using the "sec=" command line option for mount.cifs. I tried several
different settings to no effect, so maybe the security settings aren't
causing the problem?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can check/do next?