[linux-cifs-client] strange cifs/samba behaviour

Hannes Kinnari hannes.kinnari at uwasa.fi
Sat Feb 3 15:19:57 GMT 2007

Hello.

After upgrading samba on my server to the latest one available in gentoo
portage tree, I am getting strange behaviour on the computers connected
to the share.

I have shared my portage tree with cifs to other computers and I have
mounted it in /usr/portage on the client computers. In the portage tree,
there is also a software called "portage".

Now, when I cd to /usr/portage or /usr/portage/sys-apps, everything is
ok. But when I cd to /usr/portage/sys-apps/portage and get ls, I see
that I am getting the directory listing of /usr/portage and not
/usr/portage/sys-apps/portage.

Not only that, but if I cd to
/usr/portage/sys-apps/portage/sys-apps/portage/ I see the actual
sys-apps/portage listing.

If it makes any difference, the share name for the portage tree is also
"portage".

Is this a bug with the latest version of samba I installed (3.0.23d),
the kernel I am using (2.6.17-emission8) or is this something I can
correct with proper settings either on the cifs client (same version as
the server) or the samba server?

Client side software was already upgraded and working fine
(kernel,samba); things broke after upgrading the samba server.

--Hannes