[linux-cifs-client] How to recover a cifs mount when the cifs server reboots?

Seb James seb at esfnet.co.uk
Fri Dec 7 11:37:57 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 15:31 +0000, Seb James wrote:
> Hi cifs-clienters,
>
> I'm wondering how the cifs-vfs client behaves when a mounted share is
> modified, or the server is rebooted.

Further investigation here shows that you can re-boot the server and
once it is back up and running, you can re-access the files on that
share.

If you un-share the shared directory, then re-share that directory, it
seems you need to umount.cifs the share then re-mount.cifs it to be able
to access the files.

I got confused because I had a monitoring program which was attempting
to mount the share whenever it failed to access the "stat file" on the
share. Continuous mount attempts, piled up on top of each other was
causing trouble. On removing these, I can now re-boot the server and my
log files carry on happily.

regards,

Seb James