Fw: [linux-cifs-client] SAMBA no longer works (FC5 to FC5): READ op. FAILS

Steve French smfltc at us.ibm.com
Thu Oct 19 03:22:48 GMT 2006

What I thought Igor was saying was that:

    mount -t smbfs //server/share /mnt -o userid=""

worked but

    mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt -o userid=""

only partially worked, ie mount succeeded but read failed.

There was a bug introduced by Samba server 3.0.23a (quickly fixed in
Samba 3.0.23b or 3.0.23c, but some distro's shipped 3.0.23a - type "smbd
-V" to see) that caused failure on read if using newer unix extensions
(thus the cifs client, but possibly not smbfs was affected) - but that
would have required that you changed the server.   It would help if you
could please verify that you are not running the buggy 3.0.23a server.

It is possible of course that cifs is negotiating a null userid
differently than smbfs, or that you have specified the one unsupported
security type for cifs that works for smbfs (e.g. krb5 only, via
security settings in smb.conf), but I had not seen this reported
elsewhere - and to prove it conclusively we would have to see if you
authenticated differently in the two cases (for cifs you can tell part
of this by "cat /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData, but it is probably easier to
check via smbstatus on the server side).