[linux-cifs-client] Re: SAMBA no longer works (FC5 to FC5): READ op.

Igor Chudov ichudov at Algebra.Com
Wed Oct 18 18:27:30 GMT 2006

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 02:34:41PM -0500, Steve French wrote:
> >Everything worked (except when SAMBA became CIFS, anonymous logons
> >stopped working), it was a read only share.
> Can you explain this more?  Do you mean mounts with an empty userid:
> 	userid=""
> or
> 	guest

I tried absolutely all combinations, including empty userid or guess,
and it did not work.

> which simply means that we don't prompt for the password, but use the
> userid specified on the mount (or the default).

No, samba chose to disregard the argument in mount and provided its
own.

> Earlier (presumably with smbfs) how were you specifying anonymous?

Yes, userid="", if I recall correctly.

I am now phasing Samba out in general because of all this, sadly.