[linux-cifs-client] Re: SAMBA no longer works (FC5 to FC5): READ op.

Steve French smfltc at us.ibm.com
Thu Oct 19 03:43:46 GMT 2006

Igor Chudov wrote:
> I tried absolutely all combinations, including empty userid or guess,
> and it did not work.
>

>> which simply means that we don't prompt for the password, but use the
>> userid specified on the mount (or the default).
>>

> No, samba chose to disregard the argument in mount and provided its
> own.
>

>> Earlier (presumably with smbfs) how were you specifying anonymous?
>>

> Yes, userid="", if I recall correctly.

"username="" looks like it is supported by smbfs's mount helper,
although not the way you would expect, it seems to try your username and
then try a null user name (empty string)

The following code in mount.cifs.c rejects a null username though - we
will need to fix that.   If you want to track this, you can open a
bugzilla bug at bugzilla.samba.org and you will get notified when we fix
it - but it looks easy.

                } else if (strncmp(data, "user", 4) == 0) {

                        if (!value || !*value) {
                                if(data[4] == '\0') {
                                        if(verboseflag)
                                                printf("\nskipping empty