[linux-cifs-client] mount -t cifs works on Debian unstable, but need a workaround for hard-coded IP address

Arthur Marsh arthur.marsh at internode.on.net
Mon Jul 10 10:18:01 GMT 2006

Hi, I'm running Debian unstable (Sid) as a CIFS client to a WinXP SP2
Home Edition machine:

Linux victoria 2.6.17-1-686 #1 SMP Thu Jun 29 21:48:36 UTC 2006 i686
GNU/Linux

with CIFS details reported as:

cat /proc/fs/cifs/DebugData
Display Internal CIFS Data Structures for Debugging
CIFS Version 1.43
Active VFS Requests: 0
Servers:
1) Name: 10.0.0.2  Domain: WORKGROUP Mounts: 1 OS: Windows 5.1
         NOS: Windows 2000 LAN Manager   Capability: 0xe3fd
         SMB session status: 1   TCP status: 1
         Local Users To Server: 1 SecMode: 0x3 Req On Wire: 0
MIDs:

Shares:
1) \\10.0.0.2\chocolatec Uses: 1 Type: NTFS DevInfo: 0x20 Attributes:
0x500ff
PathComponentMax: 255 Status: 1 type: DISK

I was able to get the mount to work after I hard coded the IP address in
/etc/fstab (the following is all on one line):

//10.0.0.2/chocolatec /chocolatec cifs
rw,guest,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8      0       0

However, this only works because I was able to configure the DHCP server
(a Siemens Speedstream 4200 ADSL router) to assign a particular IP
address to a particular MAC address, like a sensible DHCP server.
(Earlier versions of the ADSL router firmware did not have this feature).

Is there some way (eg by an external utility) that an LMHOSTS file could
be populated with NetBIOS names and IP addresses on boot-up before
remote file systems attempt to get mounted, and on demand before
attempting new mounts?

This would enable NetBIOS names to be used in /etc/fstab where they map
to potentially variable IP addresses.