[linux-cifs-client] Re: mount -t cifs works on Debian unstable, but need a workaround for hard-coded IP address

Arthur Marsh arthur.marsh at internode.on.net
Mon Jul 10 12:04:59 GMT 2006

Arthur Marsh wrote:

> Is there some way (eg by an external utility) that an LMHOSTS file could
> be populated with NetBIOS names and IP addresses on boot-up before
> remote file systems attempt to get mounted, and on demand before
> attempting new mounts?
>
> This would enable NetBIOS names to be used in /etc/fstab where they map
> to potentially variable IP addresses.

I just tried something like this but mount.cifs doesn't refer to
/etc/lmhosts but attempts a tcp name resolution.

I suppose it would be possible to write something that used lmblookup
and modified a marked section of /etc/hosts:

### BEGIN AUTOMATICALLY ENTERED NETBIOS NAMES
10.0.0.2 chocolate
### END AUTOMATICALLY ENTERED NETBIOS NAMES

but I don't have the experience in writing such scripts.

Arthur.