[linux-cifs-client] CIFS client performance

Wagner, Chris (GE Infra, Non-GE) chris.wagner at ae.ge.com
Tue Jan 24 21:20:48 GMT 2006

We've been having some CIFS client performance issues.  It takes 4 min 30 secs to copy a 42 meg test file. That's only 150KB/sec.  Now if we copy the same file with ssh it will take about 1 min 20 secs.  Same file, same machines,  different protocol.

So we're trying to determine why ssh is different than cifs for copying files, we've played with the rsize and wsize a bit and that hasn't helped significantly.  When we do packet captures we get a lot of [Unreassembled
 Packet (incorrect TCP checksum): SMB] and some say this may be a network driver issue however under SSH that does not show up at all, it looks really clean in SSH and looks like a spagetti mess in SMB.

Its also only a client issue. The smb server on linux works fine when a Windows client attaches to it.  We're running RHEL3 Update 5 64 and 32 bit.  The server is a Windows workstation.  When a HPUX system connects to it the transfer is normal.  Since it's 2.4 kernel I compiled the CIFS module myself directly against these systems.  Any ideas?