[linux-cifs-client] any way to get mapchars to handle double quote?

Mark Brown bmark at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 18 15:18:39 GMT 2006

The POSIX Portable Filename Character Set is

Base Definitions Section 3.276 Portable Filename Character Set
The set of characters from which portable filenames are constructed.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . _ -

The last three characters are the period, underscore, and hyphen
characters, respectively.

-------------------
Mark Brown/Austin/IBM
STSM, UNIX/Linux OS Standards
IBM Systems Group, Linux Technology Center
bmark at us.ibm.com (512) 838-3926 [TL 678-3926)

Steven French/Austin/IBM
01/17/2006 11:01 AM

"Sanjeev Sharma" <ansiknr at hotmail.com>
cc
linux-cifs-client at lists.samba.org, samba-technical at lists.samba.org
Subject
Re: [linux-cifs-client] any way to get mapchars to handle double quote?

This is an interesting question.  It looks like Windows should take double
quote in its C shell or Korn shell in SFU but I have not been successful
trying to do that locally on Windows - it may be that it is controlled by
a registry setting that I have forgotten about.

Over the network Windows returned "STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_INVALID" when I
tried to create a directory with double quotes in it which implies that
the double quote character should be remapped (with mapchars mount option)
but there may be some POSIX history on this topic of which I am unaware.

The SFU help says
File names can contain any of the characters specified by the POSIX
portable character set. In Interix, file names can contain any character
except the following:
\ / " < >

which implies that the POSIX portable character set does not require the
filesystem to support double quote (although I can create such a file in
Linux/ext3 locally).

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com

"Sanjeev Sharma" <ansiknr at hotmail.com>
Sent by: linux-cifs-client-bounces+sfrench=us.ibm.com at lists.samba.org
01/16/2006 09:40 PM

linux-cifs-client at lists.samba.org
cc

Subject
[linux-cifs-client] any way to get mapchars to handle double quote?

I've read the archives on the issue and none seem to discuss the
double-quote character

"

This appears illegal on Windows 2k at least (don't have a winXP to test
on).