[linux-cifs-client] It works

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 4 20:00:45 GMT 2006

Your patch picked up the other places llseek needs to be exported from (I
had added those in my testing) - the is size safe to change needs to be
modified in two ways

1) always allow files open forcedirectio to update file size (no page cache
issues so should be safe)
2) for the default case (local caching, ie using page cache) if file is not
dirty update the file size if file is dirty write the file data out and
then update the file size - hard part is we have to check the locking
around this operation and make sure we match all other locations that could
be updating the filesize and we may have to lock all potentially affected
pages (especially the final page in the file if it is a partial page) so we
don't continue to reuse them.

I don't think we can add mmap for the forcedirectio case unless we walk
through the complex distinctions between private vs. public mmaps and the
analogy with directio behavior in other fs to validate the right behaviors

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com