[linux-cifs-client] Re: CIFS Unix Extensions and uid/gid/mode

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Dec 15 18:02:33 GMT 2006

Steve French wrote:
> Any opinions on whether there should be a way to mount to Samba (which
> supports the CIFS Unix Extensions by default) but ignore the
> uid/gid/mode (and posix acls) which the server returns?    For cases in
> which the Samba server has different uids than the client, mounts can be
> awkward, eventually we may add a way to load a uid mapping table to help
> with this kind of case, but in the meantime, I have been wondering about
> whether we should allow overrides of a "default uid" or gid or mode even
> when Unix Extensions are negotiated.

I have encountered these problems in production and they're really annoying.
 For a while, I even turned off the Unix extensions on the Samba side just
to get around the problems I was having.

> Currently the only way to do this with cifs client is to disable the
> Unix Extensions on the client or server (which also disables posix
> locking, the extended posix statfs and unix mknod).

What's the switch for disabling the extensions on the client side?

Also (sort of a tangent here), I've been trying to figure out how to use a
CIFS share from a Samba server in a way similar to the way I can mount NFS
shares.  Basically, I want to be able to mount a remote CIFS share as guest,
but still have full uid/gid/mode support.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org