[linux-cifs-client] Re: CIFS Unix Extensions and uid/gid/mode

Steve French smfltc at us.ibm.com
Fri Dec 15 19:23:39 GMT 2006

Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> Steve French wrote:
>
>> Currently the only way to do this with cifs client is to disable the
>> Unix Extensions on the client or server (which also disables posix
>> locking, the extended posix statfs and unix mknod).
>>

> What's the switch for disabling the extensions on the client side?

I probably need to make this a mount parm, but currently users do
echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled
mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt ...
echo 1 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled

to achieve roughly the same effect (ie disabling the Unix Extensions for
just
this mount but not mounts to other servers) - it is probably better to
simply
make the reporting of uid/gid/mode a property of the tree connection though
so the user does not have to remember how many times they mounted to
each server and with what mount parms this first time, and we don't
have to deal with checking the state of that
/proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled
at reconnection time (if the network connection drops)
> Also (sort of a tangent here), I've been trying to figure out how to use a
> CIFS share from a Samba server in a way similar to the way I can mount NFS
> shares.  Basically, I want to be able to mount a remote CIFS share as guest,
> but still have full uid/gid/mode support.

Could you explain what you want in more detail?

uid/gid/mode support works if the server supports the Unix extensions -
mode bits are evaluated on
the client (generic_permission in the vfs) - what user you choose to use
to mount on the server
does not really matter for the client access decision as long as you
have access on the server
for that share for that id specified on mount (or if you don't want to
send a username
you can try "sec=none" to send a null user and "guest" so it does not
prompt for password)