[linux-cifs-client] Guess login option BROKEN in Samba 3.0.22? (Fedore Core 5)

Igor Chudov ichudov at Algebra.Com
Tue Apr 11 14:25:42 GMT 2006

I am very frustrated.

I have a few "guest only" samba shares, exported from linux
boxes. For example, I have a read only share with guest only access.

I used to mount them just fine with a fstab entry like this:

//manifold/torrents /torrents   smbfs ro,user,auto,username=,password=,   0 0

It still works for older clients such as 3.0.14. I just checked it 5
minutes ago on a machine running the older version of smbclient.

It became BROKEN after I upgraded some other machines to Samba 3.0.22
and Fedora Core 5.

mount.cifs no longer accepts an empty username. It refuses to take
it. If I specify a "guest" option, it sends "root" as username instead
of an empty username.

I tried numerous combinations, read all man pages, so answers like
"read the man page" are not going to be useful.

I am hoping to find people who are familiar with this issue.

This is a pretty urgent situation for me, as one of these shares MUST
work ASAP.
Thanks.