[linux-cifs-client] FC3 cifs hang circumvented

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 14 16:48:16 GMT 2005

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com

linux-cifs-client-bounces+sfrench=us.ibm.com at lists.samba.org wrote on
05/25/2005 08:04:21 AM:

> [linux-cifs-client] Re: Process hangs copying large file to cifs
> Nuno Ferreira nuno.ferreira at graycell.biz
> Thu Aug 12 16:31:41 GMT 2004
>
> I get highly similar symptoms, with
>
> [svn at wdsnfs ~]$ uname -a
> Linux wdsnfs 2.6.11-1.14_FC3 #1 Thu Apr 7 19:23:49 EDT 2005 i686 i686
i386
> GNU/Linux
> [svn at wdsnfs ~]$ /sbin/mount.cifs --version
> mount.cifs version: 1.5
>
> to various Windows boxes including an XP SP1, an XP SP2 and some
> kind of SBS box
> that's the real target.
>
> Symptoms: slooow transfer, 'send on sock [...] stuck' messages, FC3 hung,
> magic-sysrq available but ineffective (unmount never completes) so
> it's a reset
> button. The system was reinstalled on this hw platform from another x86
> exclude hardware damage.
>
> Trace shows Windows box sending an ack and nothing further from
> cifs-client end.
>
> echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled
> echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LookupCacheEnabled
> echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/OplockEnabled

The first parm has no effect to windows servers, the second should make no
difference as it affects the interval at which we trust inode data to be
valid when we don't have oplock, but perhaps there is an obscure reason why
that matters here.   Disabling client caching (the second parm) could make
a difference if there are delays caused by oplock breaks that are blocked
by other requests from the same client but those are long shots.   I don't
recognize anything remotely similar to what you describe but it would be a
lot easier if you opened this problem up in bugzilla.samba.org against
cifsvfs component and attached a binary version of your tcpdump (or
ethereal) trace rather than the ascii output which can not be passed into
the analyzer gui.