[linux-cifs-client] Problems with cifs, samba, pam and ldap

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Mon Nov 28 16:34:39 GMT 2005

> problems with my linux cifs clients connecting to a
> samba server with pam mediated authentication.
>
> Scenario:
>
> Linux Cifs client <----->  Samba Server  <--> PAM (libpam-ldap,
> libnss-ldap) <---> OpenLDAP
>
> On the clients I try:
>
> mount -t cifs //IP_SAMBA_SERVER/user /tmp/user -o
username=user,password=BLA

> I get:
>
> mount error 13 when I set "encrypted passwords = yes" in smb.conf and
> mount error 5  when I set "encrypted passwords = no" in this same file.

Does anything change if you try from a different client e.g.
       "smbclient //IP_SAMBA_SERVER/user -U user%BLA"
or is it a similar error?  Does trying:
      "mount -t cifs //IP_SAMBA_SERVER/user /tmp/user -o
username=user,password=BLA,domain=DCC"
(ie adding the domain name) make any difference?   On the server have you
verified that the account
exists from the local systems perspective, not just from the Samba/LDAP
perspective(e.g. you can su to the account)?

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com