[linux-cifs-client] Problems with cifs, samba, pam and ldap

Amadeu Andrade Barbosa Junior amadeu at im.ufba.br
Mon Nov 28 16:12:42 GMT 2005

Hello folks,

I am having many problems with my linux cifs clients connecting to a
samba server with pam mediated authentication.

Scenario:

Linux Cifs client <----->  Samba Server  <--> PAM (libpam-ldap,
libnss-ldap) <---> OpenLDAP

On the clients I try:

mount -t cifs //IP_SAMBA_SERVER/user /tmp/user -o username=user,password=BLA

I get:

mount error 13 when I set "encrypted passwords = yes" in smb.conf and
mount error 5  when I set "encrypted passwords = no" in this same file.

My smb.conf is:
----8<----
[global]
        workgroup = DCC
        server string = %h server (Samba %v)
        encrypted passwords = No
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        dns proxy = No

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        path = /home/%S
        read only = No
        create mask = 0770
        directory mask = 0770
----8<----

Is it possible to mount files via Cifs using a username/password that is
only stored in LDAP without having a passdb backend of the type:
"passdb backend = ldapsam://server"?

I am asking this because the mount errors don't occur when the
username/password has been set with 'smbpasswd -a USER' or when I use
smbfs in mount option. I need to use CIFS, because I am having many
problems with size reporting and wrong permissions of the SMBFS.

I have been testing in a Debian Unstable distribution:
ii  samba-common              3.0.14a-3
ii  smbfs                     3.0.14a-3
ii  linux-image-2.6.14-2-k7   2.6.14-3

I read the documentation but I am not sure whether it should work or not :-(

Thanks again! :-D
--
                 Representante no DCC/UFBa - www.dacomp.im.ufba.br
                 Membro do GAVRI-IM - www.gavri.im.ufba.br