[linux-cifs-client] mount.cifs.c and passwords with ',' in them

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Fri Jan 14 21:18:58 GMT 2005

I am not convinced that this is the best way to solve it as it moves the
problem to a harder to discover (although rarer) collision between sep and
valid character set (as you noted the separator you chose is valid too
although quite unlikely to be used in western languages - but could lead
to somewhat obscure problems if the password did include this character).

Redhat added an intriguing credential caching (keyring) mechanism to
2.6.10 now that looks quite useful for storing passwords - and I wanted to
move cifs to use this (it looks like this was or will be done for the
Redhat written AFS client already).    I would like to use this as the
mechanism for mount.cifs to store the password for the mount - and also
allow this as a way to query if the logged on user already has a password
stored in the kernel credential keyring (presumably redhat created some
pam_cred_keyring module to hang on to logon passwords for this kind of
thing).    If you know of any documentation on this let me know - I really
don't want mount.cifs or cifs.ko itself to have much code for handling or
storing passwords since there seems to be a desire to move this to common
kernel code.

I did strongly consider using an ioctl with a binary buff or passing a
pointer to a binary buffer via mount but this is a mess when mapping
pointers across architectures (especially those that are mixed 32/64 bit)
so that seemed to be less likely to be stable and portable.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com