[linux-cifs-client] pam_mount and domain\user parameter for cifs.mount

Stefanos Karasavvidis sk at isc.tuc.gr
Thu Feb 17 12:39:57 GMT 2005

I'm stuck with using pam_mount with the username parameter of mount.cifs

I use winbind for allowing Win2003 AD users authenticating on the linux
box. The %(USER) variable of pam_mount has the form DOMAIN\USERNAME
whereas mount.cifs expects just the USERNAME. As I have multiple
domains, I have to use the Domain Name as part of the username.

So I end up with following parameters to mount
    -o user=DOMAIN\USER,domain=DOMAIN
whereas only
    -o user=USER,domain=DOMAIN
works. The former gives a permission denied

The shares rely on a samba server

So the question is simple: how can I use cifs.mount with usernames of
the form DOMAIN\USERNAME ?

I have kernel 2.6.8
Samba server 3.0.11
cifs vfs 1.28