[linux-cifs-client] Re: Possible CIFS bug?

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Wed Dec 7 21:56:11 GMT 2005

> got CIFS 1.39a compiled into our 2.6.11.7 kernel.  I
> had to wing it in a few spots but it seems to be running fine; no panics,

> nothing like that, so I don't think I messed it up too badly.
>
> And the good news:  I've run my stress test twice (it takes roughly ten
> minutes per) and it didn't fail either time.  I've always seen the
failure
> before now with older CIFS versions, so apparently the
latest-and-greatest
> did the trick.  I'm going to keep testing (as this is something we need
to be
> 100% reliable) but all indications are positive so far.

I am glad that current code, cifs version 1.39a, worked well.

Between coding and the software filesystem/server design work I do,
I have been having trouble the project website and backports up to date so
not
all of the community may have seen the stability (not just functional)
progress yet - but I think it really is getting better and your feedback
is not the only one that sees pretty good results.  I still would like to
beat
NFS performance in more cases going Linux cifs to Samba :) not just beat
Windows client performance but there are enough functional/security
features
that are necessary before we attack it full time.   I probably need to put
some
of the information about backports (how to most easily backport to
kernel version x.y) on the website and some of the testing info there too

My recent work has been on some buffer optimizations in read/readpages and
readdir
which should help reduce some of the stress problems people see with lots
(more
than 30 or so) of threads doing simultaneous big buffer operations (read
and readdir
are probably the nastiest) during low memory conditions under extreme
stress.
By eliminating one large buffer alloc and a memcopy this should not only
help
performance but the last really.

The kerberos code and ACL code is also starting to be staged in ...

I really do appreciate the community help in any way you can.  This is
getting
to be a very interesting story (whether the server is Windows or Samba or
Netapp
or something else).

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com