Subject: Re: [linux-cifs-client] Mounting CIFS gives me permission denied

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Fri Dec 9 21:12:45 GMT 2005

It is possible that if existing mounts from the same client to that server
were still around that mounting with a new password would be ignored (the
mount ie "tree connection" to the smb share would be attempted but not the
SMB "session setup") as we would try to reuse the existing tcp connection
and smb user session.  If the existing smb session were no longer valid
(bad password) there may be a hole there.

I don't think there is an easy mechanism (yet) to "remount" with a
different (new/changed) password when your old one that you originally
mounted with is bad - usually this is harmless as smb sessions don't
usually "time out" if there are open files (and even without open files can
take hours to time out) so you can stay connected for quite a long time
without having to resend a sessionsetup (transparently reconnect).

One place that needs to be checked in the code is whether "remount" or a
second mount to a different share on the same server should
1) save off the new password, so future reconnects use the new password
2)  try the old smb session
3) if that fails try to reconnect ie send a new session setup using the new
password

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com