[linux-cifs-client] Mounting CIFS gives me permission denied

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Wed Oct 13 23:00:26 GMT 2004

> When I tried the mount with this:
>        mount.cifs //192.168.1.2/GDrive /mnt/GDrive
>                -o "user=na,domain=HOMEXCORP,netbios name=linux"
>
> I still get the Workstation Name as \\192.168.1.1 which is
The parm netbiosname is one word, not two (no space) and the netbiosname
does not matter if netbios-over-tcp (RFC1001) is not being used.  To use
netbiosname you should force port 139 by adding
        port=139
in the options list (also you probably don't want to use quotes " after
-o)
                 -o user=na,domain=HOMEXCORP,netbiosname=linux,port=139

>Also, when I did:
>                echo 1 > ExtendedSecurity
> in the /proc/fs/cifs directory, I get a segmentation fault when
> Is that a problem?

Yes, although I am not sure which versions it is broken on because the
code is not complete - and we know it is broken if the server does not
negotiate "raw ntlmssp" (which are server in active directory will not
negotiate).  So it is good it ExtendedSecurity is forced off by default in
proc until someone has time to test/debug through it.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com