[linux-cifs-client] Re: cifs no write access

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 9 20:11:00 GMT 2004

> If I were to get and compile the newest version.
> Would I also have to recompile my kernel

Not sure how Fedora packages cifs vfs (my Fedora system is at home) but
probably is a module. Check:
        /sbin/lsmod | grep "cifs"
If it is a module then you only have to build the cifs module.  cifs vfs
is not invasive (since it was first added cifs vfs has not required kernel
coreq changes outside of the vfs module itself so did not typically
require rebuilding the core kernel just the module - there are not global
kernel changes in the more recent version of the cifs vfs that would
prevent its use on your kernel but there are known bugs when oplock is
disabled that are being worked)

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com