[linux-cifs-client] Re: cifs no write access

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Tue Mar 9 19:20:21 GMT 2004

Steven French <sfrench at us.ibm.com> writes:

>> I can mount the shares but cannot write to them
>
> I don't remember whether I already asked you this - which version did you
> try that had the problems with no write access:
> since smbfs uses the old (dos style) file open - the default file
> permissions it gets were different than what cifs vfs would get on file
> open since cifs vfs uses the newer style CreateX with much more granular
> desiredAccess possible over the network (for version 0.94 of the code
> which is what is in Fedora I remember there being a problem for a couple
> ACL cases where this would show up).   This has been fixed since then in
> the development tree but could be one reason why the write access would
> vary.

mount.cifs --version
mount.cifs version: 1.1

I wrote a separate message for this because of the lengthy syslog
output just posted.

If I were to get and compile the newest version.  Would I also have
to recompile my kernel to see any different results?  Or is it
something that will show a difference just by building and
installing?