[linux-cifs-client] Re: CIFS mount works when I specify IP address, but notwhen I only specify hostname

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Tue Mar 9 05:51:23 GMT 2004

"BJ Quinn" <bj at placs.net> writes:

> Oops, I think I figured out my last problem -- permissions were set wrong
> on the mount.cifs executable.  Now, however, I get an error that says :
>
> mount error: could not find target server.  TCP name mycomputer/c not
Isn't a legal name..  Maybe you should post the exact command you are
using.

Also if you have samba installed ... use the smbclient tool to see
how smb sees the share names.

   sbmclient -L //mycomputer

Should at least get you a password prompt if it is the right share name.

I'm having trouble with cifs too.  I can mount the shares but cannot
write to them.... eventhough I can write to them with smbfs ( I've
reenabled smbfs in the kernel)