[linux-cifs-client] Re:cifs no write access

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 9 17:41:13 GMT 2004

> I can mount the shares but cannot write to them

I don't remember whether I already asked you this - which version did you
try that had the problems with no write access:
since smbfs uses the old (dos style) file open - the default file
permissions it gets were different than what cifs vfs would get on file
open since cifs vfs uses the newer style CreateX with much more granular
desiredAccess possible over the network (for version 0.94 of the code
which is what is in Fedora I remember there being a problem for a couple
ACL cases where this would show up).   This has been fixed since then in
the development tree but could be one reason why the write access would
vary.

If the problem went away when mounted with a Windows admin id but failed
with regular user I would not be surprised if this were the issue (I was
requesting GENERIC_ALL permission on open while the older dos style open
that smbfs used implicitly would in effect be asking for GENERIC_READ
GENERIC_WRITE which will succeed more often when the ACL is not wide open
since it does not request take ownership permission as GENERIC_ALL does
e.g.)

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com