[linux-cifs-client] CIFS and kernel 2.4.23 or 2.4.24 hangs up

Massimiliano Ferrero m.ferrero at midhgard.it
Mon Feb 9 14:04:39 GMT 2004

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same problem as Breno Moiana (message from some
days ago): I'm using debian stable, compiled kernel 2.4.23 and 2.4.24
with cifs patch (form kernel.org)
mount.cifs helper compiled from sources

When I mount with:
mount.cifs //ip/share /mountpoint -o username=blabla

The system hangs up the moment I (try to) copy a file.
Listing them is ok

Enabling
echo 1 > /proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI
echo 1 > /proc/fs/cifs/traceSMB

Does not show anything

I've tried:
- cifs as module and statically compiled in the kernel
- cifs 1.0.2b and cvs sources
- kernel with devfs and without

No difference.

kernel 2.6.1 works but I would avoid it for other reasons

The kernel is optimized for PIII, this night I'll try to compile it for
plain i386
I'll try also to sniff packets with ethereal.
If I have time I want also to start from a debian kernel source.

I don't know how to enable remote debugging, any link?

BTW: the problem shows up with two different linux machines versus two
different Windows 2000 servers.

Tell me if you need config files for the kernel. I'm also willing to put
the kernel image for download.

Could kernel 2.4.21 make any difference? Unfortunatly solving this
problem for me is quite urgent (I risk blowing up a whole project).
Even a temporary workaround would be sufficient: i need to mount a
remote share and backup directly to tape a 23 GB file from a Windows
2000 server. CIFS is the only possibility I've found so far.

Best regards and thanks in advance
Massimiliano Ferrero

--

Massimiliano Ferrero