[linux-cifs-client] Re: linux-cifs-client Digest, Vol 3, Issue 7

Steve French smfltc at us.ibm.com
Wed Feb 11 15:59:29 GMT 2004

I am having a difficult time reproducing that problem on something
debuggable.  I was able reproduce it on stock 2.4.22 kernel from
kernel.org but did not have kgdb for 2.4.22 so installing a stock 2.4.23
kernel and adding the kgdb patch (http://kgdb.sourceforge.net/) I
expected to be able to reproduce the hang and debug it but the problem
did not fail on 2.4.23 (or 2.6 for that matter).  I don't think it
happened on another kernel version that I tried on another machine
either?  Tracing on the server side it is odd - it happens immediately
after the response from the first open (SMB NTCreateX) or write (SMB
WriteX) is processed but doing the divide and conquer printk approach
isn't helping much even with sleeps after the printks to make sure the
dmesg output gets written.

One thing I need to check was whether the hang only occurred to Windows
2000 (rather than Samba with the Unix extensions enabled in smb.conf?)
servers that might lead me to debugging a non-Unix extension path in the
2.4 code.

On another topic - I also noticed that there are still problems with the
search code on large directories in 2.4 due to the end of search flag
being turned on on the server (after end of search is returned, resuming
from a previous entry fails due to in effect an invalid handle - so I
need to simply add code to close and reopen the search handle and then
resume - should not be too hard)